Saturday Night Part 1

Nice quiet evening. Or so I thought. I walked up my stairs to my bedroom and went over to my dresser, which is right beside my window. A window that looks out over the street in front of my house.

That's when I heard it. Crunching metal is the most horrible sound, and one that stays with you after you've been in a wreck. All that flashed through my mind was that it was close, too close.

I jumped to my window and opened the blinds in time to see a car (the Honda Accord) smashing into my own. And I admit it, I screamed. You know that scream that takes you up and octave higher than you ever thought you could go? Yeah, that's what I did... I screamed "someone's hit my car."

My sister was downstairs and in a chair right by the front door and when she'd heard the noise she had jumped up to look out the window. She then heard me scream and ran, full-speed, out of the house with me right behind her.

I got out there after her. She ran straight up to the kids - who looked 12. Seriously. She was yelling, "What the hell happened? How fast were you going? How old are you?? Are you even old enough to drive?"

I was shaking. But I managed to run back inside and call 9-1-1.

*continues below

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Well, I'm relieved to hear you weren't in your car, which is what I'd been thinking all this time. Still, I know how frustrating these things are. This is why I'm paying 1300 bucks a year for my kid to drive, even though he's a good student and has (so far) not had an accident.

    So does anyone have an estimate of how fast this kid was going? Any tire marks?

    The tude the kid has irritates me even from here.

  2. Thinking In Vain said...

    Sorry! I didn't even think about mentioning that I wasn't in the car.

    There are skid marks from the Honda that are about 14 feet long from one side of the street to my car.

    Guesses are that the Honda hit my car going at about 35mph, so the Volkswagen had to have been going 45+ to push dead weight that far that fast.

    Yeah, that was the passenger, the driver was flipping out on his cell phone to his mother and never came over and apologized. Turns out his father is the Commonwealth Attorney for a neighboring County.

    I have no luck at all. The only people that hit me are cops, lawyer's sons and judge's wives. *knocks on wood*

  3. RFB said...

    Do I smell weed, son?

  4. Thinking In Vain said...

    I suspected that - especially with the french fries - but no one asked that.

    Perhaps it was because the kids were coming from a gathering up the street - where the neighborhood cop lives.

    It was the driver's birthday too.



Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.