Yeah, it was that foggy.

So I met with my friend Thursday night to go over what I should do. Advertising and persuasion is part of the Virginia SOLs and I didn't want to mess them up on their tests.

Luckily, I was just sort of "introducing" them to the concept of critically looking at ads and how advertisers persuade them to buy things.

Earlier I'd gone through my old college design textbooks and pulled their "persuasive" techniques. You know, nice things like visual metaphors or comparisons or puns, blah, blah, blah. The persuasive techniques named by her handouts weren't as glossed over - things like "glittering generalities," "card stacking," and "name calling." Not that those aren't true of course.

So since they've been bogged down with preparing for the SOLs, she told me to make it fun. I showed her some of the commercials I'd gotten to show them and she goes... "oh they can sing that Snickers song for you." Awesome.

So I picked some print ads and some commercials and made a PowerPoint presentation. I'm still learning PowerPoint, but I think it was pretty good if I do say so myself. Oh, and I redid that "Guess the Logo" online game and they played it for candy.

I stopped by the store on the way there to pick up the candy - and yes, I did get Starburst Berries & Cream... I needed something without any trace of peanuts. So it was those and Smarties®.

*Continues below.

2 comments:

  1. RFB said...

    Enjoying the rotating banner imagery.

    And I'm very pleased with your students and their recognitiion of genuius in the Starburst ad.

    Actually, I thinl it's mainly about the acting and the subtlety of the two guys reacting to Little Lad. Watch the one kid sitting. He just looks the kid up and down in bewildered disgust while the other kid's head jerks back ever so slightly as the lad freaks on them.

  2. Thinking In Vain said...

    Agreed.

    I've been meaning to ask my friend if any of them have been doing the dance in her classroom.



Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.