This Is Upsetting

I read this post tonight over at AdRants.

I'm in shock. Now first off, I think everyone has the right to their opinion. He has his. He has different experiences from me and probably came from a different kind of upbringing - so he thinks things differently. Although, I don't think anyone (including me) appreciates blanketly being labeled a idiotic moron just for disagreeing with someone.

My views on gun control are different than his, but that's not what upset me about his post.

No, what upset me is he has used a horrific event to step onto his soap box. He has used an event that is rippling and affecting thousands of lives in this Valley. Virginia Tech is the community of Blacksburg, people from all over the Valley send their children and loved ones there to learn and to teach and to work.

He never acknowledged our heartache, our horror. He trivialized the event with a flippant "Wait until your kid gets shot by some student in a bad mood with a gun."

And in my opinion, shame on him. It's shameful that not even two full days after these senseless acts that someone would use them as an avenue for their opinions without acknowledging the horror or the sadness... and in the vile way that he did it.

I hope you feel you got your point across.

Update: I actually posted a similar comment to this post over at AdRants. I got an email back too. Perhaps, I myself, lashed out a little - tired of all the finger-pointing and politics I've seen on the news. He seems like a nice man.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    I completely agree with you! It is a shame and a travesty what happened, but we need to be pulled together in support of the victims families and the VT community and rally behind them. Regardless of our feelings on the whole gun control issue. And since criminals are not allowed to have guns either (by law) they don't have them or use them, right?

  2. RFB said...

    I knew this would happen - and the TV is filled with talking heads pushing all sorts of agendas. The anon commenter above makes the perfect argument against the "not thinking too clearly" liberals who spout this nonsense everytime something like this happens. Yeah - and we'll all live happily ever after, right?

    It's gotta suck in SWVA right now. But I just listened to Kodachrome on your player and I think you should take some sunny pictures.

  3. Thinking In Vain said...

    Anonymous: Wonderful point.

    Jetpacks: I'm torn with watching TV, on one hand I can't stop watching and on the other I can't stand to hear their politics anymore. The majority of students aren't leaving campus because they're scared - they're leaving to be left alone. People can't walk across campus without getting stopped 4 or 5 times to be interviewed.

    Sunny pictures may be desperately needed.



Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.