PC Christmas

So I'm used to the annual fight over whether or not advertisers should say Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas... I say both, whatever.

But the new TomTom commercial, the one where the girlfriend/wife gets out of the car in the middle of a traffic jam and runs into the store to by her husband/boyfriend the GPS system.

When she gets back in the car, she says: "It's an early holiday present."

What?! No, it's not an early holiday present, it's an early Christmas present. An early "holiday" present sounds completely ridiculous.

Unless I've missed some big underground movement I don't think anyone who doesn't celebrate the three holidays of choice goes around putting up family trees or giving holiday presents.

3 comments:

  1. Joker said...

    I think the main thing about this topic (see Lowes Family tree debacle) is that people take some things way too seriously. It's not like a Jewish person is going to spit at me if I say Merry Christmas. Then again, there are radical people that would actually go so far and who saw the Family Tree thing as offensive, further promotion religious intolerance in an already intolerant era. I dunno. The whole PC movement makes me want to vomit and euphemisms just make us weaker as a species... then again, that's my take on it.

  2. Unknown said...

    I certainly agree with you. That sounds so PC simply for the sake of being PC.

    Being an atheist, I made it a point of not saying Merry Christmas on my cards this year (don't want to be a hypocrite). But, being an ad writer, I made certain it didn't sound awkward like "Merry Holidays!"

  3. Jason Fox said...

    Maybe it's a British ad. You know, they're always going on holiday over there. Or maybe they're just jackaninnies. Sigh.

    Oh well, at least reading this reminded me to wish my Jewish friends Merry Christmas. 'Cause if you can't wish your Jewish friends MC on the first day of Hanukkah, when can you?



Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.